The school was established in the year 1958 by the Mairang Presbytery (Sponsoring Body). It started with one class (Class VII) with six students and one teacher. By 1977, the school had proceeded to class X and this time it received Departmental Permission and Recognition from Meghalaya Government, making it a full fledged High School. It was in the same year that the Mairang Presbytery decided to name the school MAIRANG CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL. In 1979 the Meghalaya Government included the school in the Deficit Grant-in-Aid Scheme. With a view to expand the school, the school management started the M.E Section in 1985 with an Ad hoc Grant from the Meghalaya Government. In 1994, the Higher Secondary section was started in the Science stream with three students. In the following year, the Humanities stream was started and the Mairang Presbytery at the juncture decided to rename the school to MAIRANG PRESBYTERIAN HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL. In the year 2010, the Mairang Presbytery further expanded the school by incorporating the Lower Primary section from class KG with eight students. Till date, the school has successfully progressed with a student strength of 1700+.